Last update: January 28, 2021
Frequently asked questions
MORTGAGES & LOANS (including car and personal loans)
- Do I still have to pay my loans/mortgages?
Yes, you have to make your loans/mortgages payments (including interest) as contractually agreed. Regardless of the circumstances of Girobank, the client should continue to pay off its loan until it is entirely paid off. In case that a client moves to another bank, he/she still has the responsibility to pay off the entire loan (including interest).
- Will I have to pay a penalty for settling/closing/paying off my loan?
The procedures of Girobank dictate that all clients must pay a penalty in case of early pay-off of their loans. Given the circumstances, Girobank will waive this penalty.
- Until when should I make loans/mortgage payments to Girobank and when should these be made to GI-RO Settlement Holding N.V.?
Borrowers must comply with their repayment obligations to the Girobank as contractually agreed. Any changes will be communicated to the borrowers in a timely manner.
- Can I get a discount on my loan or mortgage if I settle the debt in full?
No, but the Girobank does waive the penalty fee for early pay off.
- Can I still use my credit card(s)?
Credit cards can no longer be used; the Girobank blocked all credit cards.
- Do I still have to pay the minimum or am I obligated to pay the open balance in full?
The balance on the credit card has to be paid off in full as soon as possible.
- When is the deadline to pay off my credit card?
There is no deadline to pay off a credit card, however the procedures indicate that a full or minimum payment needs to be paid on a monthly basis. It is recommended to pay off the entire balance as soon as possible given the high interest rates on credit cards.
CURRENT/SAVINGS ACCOUNT (including SAM and Time Deposit)
- Do I have to withdraw all my funds immediately?
It is not necessary to withdraw all your funds immediately, as a maximum of NAf. 10.000,- is guaranteed per client.
- How can I withdraw the funds on my bank accounts?
The withdrawal of your funds can happen through the traditional means, being at the Giro branches, through ATM’s and through online banking.
- What is the maximum amount I can withdraw a day at a Girobank branch?
The maximum amount that can be withdrawn at the branch is NAf. 10.000,-. Amounts deposited after December 10, 2019, can be freely accessed. See also Q1 paragraph Other.
- What is the maximum amount I can withdraw a day from a Girobank ATM?
The maximum amount that can be withdrawn per day at an ATM is NAf. 1.000,-.
- Can I withdraw money from my account through an ATM of a different bank?
Yes, money can be withdrawn from an ATM other than those of Girobank.
- What is the maximum amount I can withdraw a day from another ATM?
The maximum amount that can be withdrawn from an ATM is NAf. 1.000 per day.
- How long can I still access the online banking platform?
Online banking will be available until further notice. However, a 30-day notice will be given upon discontinuation of this service.
- What do I have to do/bring to close my bank account(s)?
In order to close your bank account, you will have to bring a valid Identification Document.
- Should I open a bank account at another commercial bank?
If you only have a bank account with Girobank, you should open a bank account at another commercial bank.
- How soon should I open a bank account at another commercial bank?
As it can take some time to open a bank account at the commercial banks, we encourage you to do this at your earliest convenience.
- If I have a savings account and a current account with each NAf. 10.000,- or more, am I entitled to NAf. 10.000,- from each account?
No, the guarantee of NAf. 10.000,- is set per customer.
- If my child has a savings account and I am registered as well as co-signer, are we both entitled to NAf. 10.000,- each?
The account holder or the cosigner, who is a representative, can withdraw up to NAf. 10.000,-.
- If my partner and I have a current account together, are we both entitled to NAf. 10.000,- each?
No, you are entitled to the money that is on your account, which the CBCS guarantees up to the maximum amount of NAf. 10.000,-.
- When will I have access to my funds over NAf. 10.000?
Account holders will receive a letter at the beginning of 2021 with more detailed information about payments and the administrative handling of their accounts.
- Is my insurance coverage still valid?
Yes, given the fact that Girobank NV operates as a broker for different insurance companies and is not the insurer itself, the insurance coverage will remain valid.
- How long are my belongings still covered by my insurance?
Given the fact that Girobank NV operates as a broker for the insurance companies; the insurance policy will not expire as a consequence of the moratorium.
- What happens if I have NAf. 10.000,- on my account now, and someone deposits more money on my account after today. Do I lose access to those funds?
No, you do not lose access to your funds. If you had more than NAf. 10.000,- on your account prior to December 10, 2019, the amount that is in excess of the NAf 10.000,- will be frozen. Amounts deposited after December 10, 2019, can be freely accessed.
- What happens to checks I have pending to cash? Are these included in the sum of my NAf. 10.000 or that of the payer?
Cheques of Girobank NV can no longer be cashed at Girobank nor any other commercial bank.
- How can I view my account balance when the GI-RO Settlement Holding N.V. is active?
This information will be made available in due time.
- Which Girobank ATMs are still operational?
Currently, our operational ATMs are located in Scharloo and Janwe.
- Which branches are still accessible for the public?
Scharloo and Janwe from Monday to Friday from 8:00am - 3:30pm.
- What is the contact information of the GI-RO Settlement Holding N.V.?
This information will be made available in due time.
For any other questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our helpdesk at telephone number +599 9 4339130.